frequently asked


What happens in a hearing test appointment?

We will ask you some questions about your hearing concerns, medical background, social activities etc.

We will test your hearing – under headphones/earphones, you will hear some tones in one ear at a time. You will indicate to us when you hear a tone.

Together we will discuss the results, we will answer any questions you may have and make recommendations as to what the next step should be.

If a hearing aid is recommended, we will help you chose the best hearing aid for you.

How much do hearing aids cost?

The price of instruments and services that a client pays depends on a number of situations:

Pension Card Holders or Veterans Affairs Card Holders (DVA)
Entitled to free hearing services including a range of instruments provided by the Office of Hearing Services (OHS). Hear Better is accredited to provide these services on behalf of OHS.

Top Up
Clients who are entitled to free OHS services may choose to upgrade or “top up” to a more advanced hearing aid and pay the difference in cost. These “top up” products generally start from around $500.

Private health rebates

Hearing aids may be covered by your Private Health fund. Health insurance policies differ according to amounts, conditions and rules that can affect your entitlements. We recommend that you check with your own health fund to determine your eligibility and rebates.

Tax deductions

Tax deductions can also be obtained from the Australian Taxation office as hearing aids come under the “medical expenses tax offset”. We recommend that for further tax advice you check with your accountant or call the Personal Tax Infoline on 132 861 or on 1800 806 215 (TTY).

How long will a hearing aid last?

The life of a hearing aid is approximately 3 to 5 years. Many hearing aids are still functioning well after 5 years, while others may need some repairs or be replaced. A recent development in hearing aids has been the waterproof protection for certain devices.

I am a pensioner, can I get free hearing services?

As a pension card holder or a Veteran Affairs card holder, you are entitled to free services provided by the Office of Hearing Services (OHS). Hear Better is accredited to provide these services. For more information on how to apply for these services, you can call us on 3878 83030 or contact OHS on 1800 500 726 or

Which manufacturer will make my hearing aids?

Hear Better is an independent clinic offering a broad range of hearing aids from a number of international hearing aid manufacturers. We work with a manufacturer based on the quality, performance, technology and value of their products and level of customer service. Some hearing aid manufacturers have the more advanced technology or specialised products that may not be available through another manufacturer.

How do I clean and maintain my hearing instruments?

Store your hearing aids in a safe place that’s dry and cool.

Keep a spare set of batteries in case they run flat.

Switch off your hearing aid when you’re not using it. If you don’t use it for a long period of time, remove the battery.

Clean your hearing instrument using the small brush or the soft cloth that came with it.

Change filters often so they don’t collect wax or dirt.

Contact your doctor regularly to have your ear canals cleaned. Never remove the earwax from the ear yourself. Doing so could damage your ear.

Do not wear your hearing aid when:

  • In the shower
  • Swimming
  • When using a hair dryer, hair spray, or other types of aerosol
I have a ringing noise in my ears, can you help?

Ringing in the ears or tinnitus is extremely common and is often associated with a hearing loss. There are many strategies on how to help you deal with tinnitus. These range from using distractors to mask the tinnitus, to be fitted with a hearing instrument. It is recommended that you schedule an appointment with an Audiologist to evaluate and discuss your tinnitus.

Do I need a referral?

You don’t need a referral to come and visit us. Simply call us on 3878 8303 and arrange an appointment at a time that suits you.

Want to change your Hearing Provider?

Pensioners and Veterans

If you currently receive hearing services from another hearing provider and would like to receive these services from Hear Better simply:

1. Ring the Office of Hearing Services on 1800 500 726 and request a relocation to Hear Better

2. The Office of Hearing Services will provide you with all the information you need.

3. Once you have received your letter from the Office of Hearing Services, call us and we can make you an appointment

Private Clients / Self funded

Simply call Hear Better on (07) 3878 8303 and make an appointment.